Saturday, April 12, 2008

Oh, Georgia!

A few years ago, I went to Santa Fe and wandered the Georgia O'Keefe Museum. It's small, but nice. My favorite painting there was an abstract of the New York City sky. You couldn't really tell it was NYC or even really buildings. I loved that. Unfortunately, the gift shop did not have a print of the painting and while I searched nearby shops, I still couldn't find it. So, I gave up.

Then, this week, I had the chance to wander the Tweed Museum at UMD and started thinking about the ever elusive O'Keefe painting. My fear was that I had idealized it in my head after so many years that it would be a letdown if I ever found it.

I went home and googled away, finding her complete works on Wiki almost immediately. Not only was I right about the letdown, but I had a hard time even figuring out which painting I had loved! How awful!!!

It could have been this one, or this one, but I don't think it was this one.

My new favorites:

It Was Blue and Green 1960
Red Canna 1915
Maple and Cedar 1922
From the Lake no 1 1924

Movie of the Day: Carolina. She had a state name too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Blue and Green. And the Lake one could be our lake yesterday and still today.

Fun seeing the paintings--I explored her web site.

Anonymous said...

That's why the real thing costs thousands (or millions) of dollars and you can see a photo on the web for free. I don't believe you idealized it, I wonder if you were able to see the real thing again if you might fall in love with it all over.

I've always been amazed that when I've bought posters or postcards in the gift shop and look at them later I am disappointed by the actual image but use it as a reminder of how I felt when I saw the real thing. Ah...maybe I should take the kids to the MIA this afternoon.

Hope your first day back from spring break is a good one!

Kim