Saturday, December 19, 2009

Seriously?

I was at Michael's the craft store today with my mom. The checkout lines were very long. As I'm about it get in one line, I notice that there is another one that is only 2 people deep. I ask the person ahead of me if the other line is actually open. She says "Yes." I said, "You don't want it?" "No."

I go to the new line and proceed to wait as a woman is correcting an error on her receipt or whatever. I stand. I stand.

Then, the lady from the other line, walks by, done checking out. She stares at me and smirks with a "ha ha, that's why I didn't go in that line" kind of look on her face.

Now, she could have said "That line isn't moving." "That lady is taking a long time." "You're better off here." or whatever. No, she let me go to the other line. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! So, I decide to switch lines and notice that the next person is finally up in the "short" line. I also notice her basket is full of tiny stuff. Lots of tiny stuff. And, the aisle my mom and I switched to was now about to be empty. So, I went to the new lady behind the basket lady and told her that our line was about to be open. She gave me a huge smile and hopped to the other lane.

Whew. What's the reverse of paying it forward? Absorb, don't deflect? I don't know.

Karma, baby. Karma.

Movie of the Day: The Shop Around the Corner.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Merry Christmas to you too :)

Catharine Larsen, MA, LP said...

Way to go, Becca--that's the Christmas spirit!