Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Class Personality

Each Spring, seniors around the country (world?) have graduation parties at their homes or in nearby restaurants/community centers. In recent years, kids have been inviting their teachers to attend.

When I was in high school, I NEVER would have invited a teacher. Never. We didn't even think about it. My younger brother invited his Spanish teacher, who did attend.

Some years, I'm invited to one or two parties and attend sporadically. Last year, I attended one party and sat with the kids (teens) and interrogated them about what they're going to do with themselves next. Nicely, of course.

This year, so far, I've been invited to 5 parties. This is a record. Is this class more social? More teacher-accepting? More connected? Who knows?

Movie of the Day: With Honors.

5 comments:

Joymes said...

So are you going to go to all 5 parties? Sounds like it would be interesting and fun to hear about what the kids are doing next!

Linda said...

Becca, it's because you are their favorite teacher!! Be honored!
One of our boys invited his favorite teacher and he came! We were honored that he did.

Michelle said...

I was at a meeting today where some people who recently moved to MN said graduation parties were quite a local, cultural event that is not observed around the country. Everyone in the room who grew up in MN was quite surprised. Everyone who didn't was nodding their heads.

Anonymous said...

Talk about a cultural phenomenon ~ when I graduated I got a set of nesting cardboard suitcases from Wards from my parents. That was it. Of course they went to the ceremony itself but that was the total acknowledgement. That's what everyone did. When did this start? I get so frustrated with the "keeping up with the Jonenes" and trying to make your party the biggest and best. The kids have so many parties to go to they usually only stay for a short time and don't eat much since they have 5 other parties to go to that day.

Are our children too pampered?

Becca said...

I think kids make a bigger deal about Prom than about grad parties from what I've observed. I went to a lot of parties when I was a senior, but a lot of the purpose was to see family and family friends too.