Friday, February 19, 2010

In Honor of Nate


I'm sorry I haven't blogged much lately. Things have been rather emotional in the World of Becca as of late. Above you will see a picture of me with my dear friends Nate and Dave. This is the first picture of me that I've ever put on my blog and I think Nate would be proud.

You see, Nate passed away last Saturday, unexpectedly, at the age of 36. The whole past week has been a rollercoaster of happy and sad thoughts of Nate. He was brilliant, funny, friendly and inclusive to everyone. He couldn't understand why I didn't put heaps of pictures on my blog or why I didn't invite every last friend to stay at my house during our 10-year-reunion.

He stayed at my house that weekend and I remember him talking on the phone with Claire (his future wife), sitting on Brighton Beach doing homework (quizzing me with random questions that I failed), and getting me to organize the troops to hang out.

When I went to visit Claire and Nate in Paris, he asked me to bring Cap'n Crunch, peanut butter and tortillas, if I had room in my suitcase. He rationed the Cap'n Crunch that I delivered. We were both obsessed with checking our email and staying connected with friends and we both proof-read our emails before sending them.

I remember we both got our wisdom teeth out the summer of 1992. His dentist didn't tell him to avoid straws, so he was healing slower than I was and his surgery was a day or two before mine. I remember he took a little cooler packed with ice with him to the Blues Fest. He made things happen.

I miss my dear friend and I cannot begin to imagine how his family, wife, and two small kids are feeling right now. I just hope that they know that Nate was loved by everyone who met him.

4 comments:

Diane said...

Becca,
It was nice to read your words about Nathan. It was such a fitting tribute to your blog-loving friend.

Thoughts are with you as you try to adjust to a world without your dear friend.

Megan Hoelzel said...

Wonderful post Becca. Great memories and thoughts about Nate. I'm sure he is VERY proud of you for posting a photo of yourself (with he and Dave) on your blog. (Why is it hard to post photos of ourselves on our blogs???)

As I can not hug you due to proximity I am sending you a virtual hug. >>>>>>HUG<<<<<< In time the sadness will fade and the memories will always make you smile.

Best,
Megan

Catharine Larsen, MA, LP said...

Beautiful blog, Becca--thanks for sharing those wonderful thoughts of Nate. I'm sure you have millions more. I hope they comfort you even as they sadden you.
Love to you.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have developed a new clean web 2.0 wordpress theme.

Has 2 colours silver and blue, has custom header(colour or image).
I am curently working on it, so if you have suggestions let me know.

You can view live demo and download from here www.getbelle.com
If you found bug reports or you have suggestions pm me.
Wish you a happing using.

many thanks to [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com/]USAInstantPayDay.com[/url] for paying the hosting and developement of the theme

KenMarryKeema