Saturday, January 12, 2008

All That For This

I am cautious. I went to a leadership retreat and learned all about how this cautious, accuracy-focused, perfectionism affects my life. There was validation in this, some new-found work soul-mates and a little insight.


The retreat was at the McCabe Renewal Center, a house run by the Benedictine Sisters from the College of St. Scholastica. It was a fabulous space, very welcoming, and the Sisters were very kind and hospitable (one of their core values).


We sat in a large "circle" in the living room and at one point I noticed a beautiful statue on the mantel. It struck me and it isn't something that I would normally take a second look at, so I decided to take a picture of it (see below).


I wanted to know what it was called and figured a title and artist would be on the bottom of the statue (it was about 8 inches tall). Any way, I lift the statue and suddenly the garland on the mantel slides forward and knocks two candle holders onto the floor with a great SHATTERING sound. Glass, salt, candles, go everywhere. I am mortified!!!!!! I go into panic mode, trying to clean it up. I say "I need a nun!" I need to know how to fix this. How to clean it up, buy new candle holders, and erase the minds of 20 coworkers. I hear people saying "For once it isn't me". I'm trying to keep it together.


A nun arrives with a dust pan and brush. I help her clean it up and try to find out where the candles are from. She says that they are inexpensive. I ask if she has more and she says yes. She will not let me replace them. I feel sooooo bad.


Then, I remembered what it's like when something of mine breaks and how I try to calm down the other person. I really don't care that the item is broken. So, that helped a bit.


Once everything is cleaned up, the break is over and everyone is back in their seats. The pressure releases and I start crying as quietly as I can, mainly because I don't usually break things, especially nuns' things, in front of all of my coworkers.


Now, you would think that this would keep me away from the statue (which didn't break, whew). However, I still want to know what the heck it's called. So, I say "I need help" to a couple friends. They hold back the garland on either side and I take a quick peek at the bottom.


The statue is called "A Quiet Moment" by Timothy Schmalz. I think it's beautiful and worth the chaos it took to figure it out. Sorry, Sister H.

The glass on the left gave it's life for this blogger.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that was an adventure--wasn't it? Anyway you gave the sisters an opportunity to be their gracious and forgiving selves, and you had the oppotunity to practice receiving this gift. :)

Sus said...

funny that you mentioned to read it the other day but today i was just thinking of that very place... we went there for my women/religion/spirituality class... it is one of Duluth's best kept secrets.