Monday, June 04, 2007

The Heartbreak and the Hope

It's nearing the end of the school year and we're all tired. Our brains are full or our brains are drained. I've given what I could and now I need to recharge. People ask me what I do over the summer. I say "Nothing!!!!" It's amazing. The weird thing is, though, it isn't like I'm sitting around on my butt all day. I read. I spend time with family. I go to movies. I volunteer. I dig in my yard. Time fills in.

Right now, I have hectic days with the occasional, "I'm gonna miss this kid." thought. Students who go out of their way to be kind. Students who crack you up when you really thought you were going to crack. Students who don't talk to you all year and then suddenly spill their guts. Students who tell you that they like your class even though it's tough (one of my personal favorites since I have the rep of being the "nice" math teacher).

At the same time, I'm trying to think of a way to acknowledge all of the hard things that have happened over this school year and to find a way to heal from some of the events (difficult classes, insults from students or adults, things like that). I need to find a way to make the above paragraph more prominent and the soul-saddening events less powerful.

Sigh.

Movie of the Day: Dead Poets' Society. Great teacher movie.

3 comments:

Joymes said...

You are still in school? I started teaching summer school yesterday! Yikes. it really is a whole different world down here.

Linda said...

Joy,
Where is "down here"??

Anonymous said...

Becca,

Enjoy your summer! You write so well about what summer is like. I love the line "time fills in." That is really what happens. I have been on "summer vacation" for almost four weeks. We got out early bacause of a huge construction project at school. (We only had ten days off during the year though, including Christmas break, and no "work days" or inservice days.)

I am finally getting to some of the projects I've had on my to do list. You need time to unwind after a school year. Other people don't always understand that though.

LaRae