Thursday, June 30, 2011

Coffee

I gave up pop a while back and then accidentally started drinking it again.   Today I read an article online about how diet pop is horrible for you and makes one obese (oh joy!).   So, now I'm going to work on cutting out artificial sweeteners.   For a diabetic, this is kind of the kiss of death or at least flavor.  Maybe I'm being dramatic, as I am prone to do, but seriously!?!  It's a big step. 

My sister suggested starting to drink coffee (not just the chocolate frou frou stuff, but like normal coffee).  Well, this might be my only source of caffeine and we don't want to see me without caffeine.  At least not yet.  There are only so many changes one person should have to make at once, right, if they have any choice in the matter.

So, how do you take your coffee (caffeine, water)?  I need suggestions!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Becca,
I had to give up coffee and artificial sweetners on my doctor's orders (long story). I found that what coffee really did for me was give me permission to sit and take a moment to have a drink of something...often in a social setting but also just at home. So I now drink hot milk. Sounds yucky, I know, but if you put a shot of vanilla flavoring, it tastes like ice cream!


Good luck!

Becca said...

Wow, Diane! Do you drink juice or regular pop? I avoid both of those. I've even converted to Almond Milk to cut on soy and dairy. The unsweetened stuff is good for cereal, but not great for just drinking. Maybe Club Soda and lime will be my only "splurge" when I go out.

Kim said...

Don't jump to coffee. Explore tea! There are so many kinds. Lots of flavored decaf herbal teas are tasty hot or iced (once you get used to the fact that they are not super sweet). If you want to sweeten, then you can control how much you put in rather than pop that already has gobs of HFCS. It is quick to make. You can simply heat up water in your microwave in the cup and then add the tea bag. If you love it you could invest in a pretty teapot and cups.

There are also lots and lots of options for caffeinated teas! Some are more caffeinated than others (green tea is mildly caffeinated, black tea has more). So many to choose from. I avoid Lipton (I think it is bitter) and go for the only slightly more expensive brands. I like English Breakfast Tea with a bit of honey and an ounce of milk. Yum! It is really kind of fun to explore all the options and it is a lovely social drink any time of day and any weather. Doesn't is sound elegant to get together for a cup-of-tea?

Try it! You'll never go back to icky Diet Coke!

Catharine Larsen, MA, LP said...

Wow, Beccca, you're purifying. I use almond milk, but i seldom drink it like milk. I, too, was going to suggest tea. Coffee is quite acidic in your body, which we like to avoid too much of. Tea is much less so. it's cozy too. I never drink coffee anymore. And I never did drink pop; that's a good thing to give up--a really good thing!

Glad I'm back to reading your blog. Nice entries.