Monday, December 03, 2007

Recommendations

It's that time of year when I am asked to write recommendations for some of my students. Usually they are for scholarships and occasionally for colleges.

The tricky part is knowing what to say and understanding how I say it affects things. This year, I have three to write which is nothing compared to what the English teachers are hit with, but more than ideal.

The issue: I know that I'm expected to write a glowing, touching, heart-felt letter that will make people what to shower my students with money. I know this. The problem comes when I can't whole-heartedly nominate the kid for a Nobel Prize. How do I find comfortable ground? Are they the best students I've ever had? Nope. Will I try my best? Yes.

Movie of the Day: Election. That girl needed to chill.

No comments: