Monday, January 22, 2007

Roses

Valentine's Day is coming up and roses are on people's minds. Aside from the fact that their prices are jacked up for the holiday, roses are also part of a fair trade concern. Many of them are coming from South and Central America and were processed by exploited workers. They receive low pay and are exposed to dangerous chemicals that are used to fumigate the flowers.

I love flowers, so I'm totally bummed about this. Now, I need to find locally-grown flowers to buy myself and recommend to friends. Anyone know of a place?

Movie of the Day: Maria Full of Grace. She quit her rose factory job to transport drugs and make some real money. Sad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It might be difficult as it is winter right now. Buy an amaryllis bulb or force tulip bulbs, etc.

Anonymous said...

Great movie recommendation. I was really struck by Maria Full of Grace. Well done.
On a different note, but along a somewhat similar theme (Valentine's Day - love), we watched Love Actually last night. Fun movie.
Good luck on your quest for locally grown flowers in January, in Duluth. Maybe you could appreciate the floral designs of Jack Frost instead. Just a thought...
Kim

Anonymous said...

Oh, one more movie rec.
Tsotsi.

Have you seen this one? In South Africa. About poverty adn the life of a young black criminal who attacks a wealthy woman, hijacks her car, and then finds out there is a baby in the back seat.

Not very realistic, kind of cute, some serious underlying themes and situations. Definitely worth watching sometime.

Kim

Anonymous said...

I tell my hubby not to waste his money on roses- I prefer a plant of some sort that can live longer for my valentines day gift. I think I got an african violet last year. Sadly, I don't do the best at keeping those alive... it eventually died... but lasted much longer then roses would have.