Sunday, January 07, 2007

To My 4th Grade Teacher, Wherever You Are


Dear Mrs. Vitcenda,
I found out today that you passed away on Wednesday and it made me cry. The saddest part for me was that I've been thinking about you for the last couple months and wondered where you were. I even Googled you last week. See, I've been reconnecting with some 4th grade friends and had the idea that some of us should come and visit you and tell you what we were doing with our lives. Now, it's too late. So, I don't know if they have WiFi in Heaven, but at least I can share it with everyone else.

You were a great teacher. I love poetry because you loved poetry. I remember you taught me decimals, which I use every hour, every day (at least while I'm at work). I remember SRAs (reading practice) and saying the pledge. I remember Valentine's Day. I also remember how you sent me a note when my 9th grade math team won an award. You kept track of us.

I'm looking at our class picture right now and I see teachers, nurses, architects, and one we've already lost. We love you.

:)Becca aka Rebecca

Movie of the Day: Mr. Holland's Opus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad. I had a 3rd grade teacher who got me into reading and writing, and we all know how that's turned out.

Also, sorry to hear about the stupid vandalism in your classroom. Another reason I don't teach!

Becca said...

Thanks, Bloggie. I know I should be curled up in a closet having a pity party, but I actually don't feel too bad. I was happy to hear Mrs. V lived so long (85). I just wish I could have told her how much she meant to me. I'll just have to send a card to her kids.

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet letter. I bet she know and is still rooting for you. Are you 3rd from the left in the front row. Is your friend 2nd from left in the back row? I remember Mrs Vitcenda well. I think she noticed our Peter wasn't hearing well, and she put him in the front row and he eventually had tubes put in his ears.