Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Gusher

So, I'm driving to work this morning, determined to have a good day. I get three blocks from school and notice water in the street. Lots of water. Then, more and more water. The waves off of my tires are reaching higher my windows. Hmmmmm... water main break.

I keep driving. Get to school. Ask if we have water and we do. Drat. Oh well.

About half an hour later, kids come in saying they heard that kids might be sent home. I decide to investigate. Call secretary. No answer. Call principal. No answer. Time to walk around. Ask. Ask. Ask. No one knows, but I heard that two trustworthy teachers were dancing in the halls and the janitors were telling kids to go home. Hmmmm.... nothing official yet. Don't get hopes up.

Then, the intercom beeps (loudly) and the calm voice of the principal tells us that school is closed and teachers will have a staff meeting shortly.

Staff meeting: Water main broke. No kids. Contract says you can go home but building will be open if you want to stay and get things done. Laughter.

Many teachers stay at least a couple hours to get a jump on their To Do lists. I head out at 10:45 to the designated "Hey, let's go out to lunch like grown-ups" location. Nice.

Home. Chores. Ah.

Tonight: Corrected tests. Watched House. Three, yes three, trick-or-treaters. Way too much leftover candy. Oh boy.

No comments: