Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve at Wesley

Christmas Memories are on my mind these days. Things have changed a lot since my grandma moved out of her house and then later passed away. One of the things that I really miss is Christmas Eve at Wesley United Methodist Church. My grandma lived across town and we always went to her church (instead of ours) on Christmas Eve.

Every year was exciting because something goofy or tacky or just plain funny would happen. Here are the highlights:

1) The minister's wife doing a karoke hymn.
2) A lady's grandkids singing a duet from opposite ends of the sanctuary (so they weren't singing together).
3) The same lady's punk grandkids sitting in the pew watching (one of them was my classmate).
4) A guy passing out in the last pew and an ambulance coming.
5) My grandma's screechy singing (rest her soul).
6) My Jewish uncles having to attend.

And a sweet one, actually...
7) My grandma's joy in having her whole family with her at church.

Movie of the day: Sweet Home Alabama. A woman is a fashion designer in New York and needs to go home to Alabama to finalize her divorce before she can get remarried. Reece Witherspoon, Patrick Dempsey, and Josh Lucas star.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I miss the g'mas so much I can't breathe...