Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Get rich!

Every work day, I drive past the Powerball sign that announces in lights just how much I could win if I played their game. Every work day, that sign pisses me off! I watch the numbers climb and think of how many people waste their money with some false hope of winning.

A quote I found somewhere said "The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math." I also think it's a trap that feeds on people's weaknesses. Psychologically, it's addictive because there isn't a consistent payoff schedule. You don't win after playing five times and then you play another five times and win. No, "the next ticket could be the winner". Well, how about people do more productive things with their "next ticket" money. Maybe, oh I don't know, help the poor? Feed their kids? Work less to have more spare time?

Then, I start to think about just how much of that 112 million a person would see after taxes and how much they would get per year. I've been meaning to research it to figure that out. Maybe even get a lesson plan out of it. We'll see...

Any way, off my soapbox. Today's movie: Brewster's Millions in honor of Richard Pryor. One of my childhood friends was in one of the scenes in the depot. It's been YEARS since I've seen this one.

Ludicrous Lutefisk!
:)Becca

No comments: