Sunday, August 13, 2006

Halloween

Have you figured out what you are going to be for Halloween yet? I think everyone should dress up this year, especially adults. So, get your thinking caps on.

I say this because my friend and her kids have already figured out what they're going to wear and I just started experimenting with make-up options. We'll see what I come up with. I have a "Homemade" motto vs. buying a ready-made outfit. The more obscure, the better.

One year, I was a tv. My dad took a Xerox box, and made a neck hole on the side. The cover slide on the front and had a huge opening so people could "watch" my head. He then carpeted the side that would be below my chin, painted it dark brown, added buttons and antenna. It was quite fun to wear.

Most years, I tried to incorporate lipstick into my costume. My mom would let me use her old stuff and I would reapply A LOT throughout the day. (Tee hee). The lipstick was actually rancid, so for years I thought that was just how lipstick smelled/tasted.

Two years ago, I was a reporter for The Weather Channel. I had a windbreaker, messed up hair with twigs in it, and a microphone. I even made the logo, laminated it, and taped it to my jacket, like the pros. Carl is my favorite weather guy. Too bad he got married.

Any way, what are you going to be this year?

Movie of the Day: E. T. Good Halloween scene.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate Halloween.

The best costume I ever heard of (it's kind of disgusting though in any context outside of a college party.) My friend stepped inside a huge plastic bag and went as a fetus.

Anonymous said...

My husband has never in his life been dressed up for Halloween or gone trick or treating. his family doesn't believe in doing stuff for Halloween.... now I am stuck with him- who I call the Halloween Scrooge. Maybe I should dress up this year just to annoy him. I have fun Halloween memories from growing up- too bad he doesn't! Joy

Becca said...

Maybe you could be Tiny Tim and he could be Scrooge!!!

What about any future children???

Anonymous said...

Even though I have always disliked Halloween (maybe it goes back to being mugged one Halloween night when my bag was almost full)I always made a big production out of it for my children...stuffed characters out on the lawn, flying witches in the trees, homemade matching costumes,etc. It's amazing what a mother will do for her children.

Anonymous said...

Oh If we ever had kids I am totally doing up halloween for them. And, I can try to get James trick or treating for the first time ever. Halloween is nothing compared to Christmas. He never had Santa and I did ( It's amazingf he turned out normal) I told him once we have kids we can never take them to his parent's for christmas... and if we do, I'll say the cousins were BAD and that's why Santa doesn't come for them. Aren't I bad????

Alex said...

My friend and his family went as bees with his dad as bee keeper. It was hilarious. Four adults in huge fat bee costumes with tiny stingers on their butts. It was the best costume I have ever seen.

I like going in teams. My ex-husband and I went as a bruise once. I wore all black and he wore all blue.

This year I am going as an exhausted grad student with no money.