Monday, August 28, 2006

My Weekend

What a weekend! Friday morning, I drove to the Cities to pick up my friend Joy (anonymous commenter) at the airport. On my way, I stopped at Sixth Chamber bookstore to see what all the hype was about. It was nice and I found two books.

Then, after circling the airport a bit (just a little), I picked up Joy and we headed to St. Olaf for a mini-reunion with friends. We had lunch at Hogan Brothers (worth the drive right there) and then we all headed to campus. The huge storm that Dave talked about did major damage at St. Olaf. There were cars without any glass. Offices were told to close at noon and conferences were cancelled. Unfortunately, we couldn't even spend our money at the bookstore. So, we wandered and reminisced as best we could.

Now, normally, this would be enough fun for one day, but not Friday. Friday, we headed back to St. Paul to go to the Fair. We parked at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church and hopped a shuttle. Thank goodness, too! I don't know my way around enough to know the sneaky places to park.

We met up with Heather and Jeff and wandered around eating. I had: mini donuts, 1919 rootbeer, and a pickle on a stick. Odd dinner, huh? We rode the gondola/ski lift thingy to get a good view and listened to Rascal Flatts from outside the stadium. I did not buy a bucket of cookies because I'm too cheap to spend $12 on about 20 cookies.

That was Friday.

Saturday, we woke up late and had brunch at the Mall of America. I know, not really the cuisine of choice, but by that time, I was so hungry I didn't care. Next, we shopped. Finally, Joy went to the wedding (reason for being in town) and I went to more bookstores. Follow that up with dinner at Ikea (I know, we're weird) and I headed home.

I'm wiped.

Movie of the Day: Only You. Two friends wandering around Italy looking for a guy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard Rascal Flats too, but from my bedroom. I am glad you had a good time at the fair. We are going to skip it this year, but are enjoying the nightly fireworks displays from our sidewalk.

If you are looking for good eats the next time you are in the Twin Cities, you should try the Midtown Global Market (on Lake St, Mpls). It is a pretty cool place - should have some nice veggie options. If you visit me, we could bike there!!

Hope you enjoy the last few days of summer.

Kim

Becca said...

You and your darn bike. Maybe with some warning. Hmmmm..... I'll have to start training.

Anonymous said...

You should point out our meal at Ikea was the most nutritious one we had all weekend long....

Becca said...

Oh, yep. True. Although the GIANT nachos at the mall were tasty, not exactly the most nutritious. Hogan Bros. wasn't too horrible for us.

Alex said...

I am so proud of you for giving Sixth Chamber a try. Shop local!

Kim, I too can hear the concerts from my house, but I live on the Como side of things. And there are huge trees in my neighborhood that block the fireworks.

Lois said...

What kind of menu do they have at IKEA?