Saturday, July 22, 2006

Blind

When I was a little kid, I used to pretend I was blind. I would try to get ready for bed without having the light on. I would try to brush my teeth and what-not with only a crack in the door created by putting the waste basket as a door-stop. It was a sliver of light, just enough for a weird 8-year-old to get around.

I also shared a room with One in a Million Saras for ten years and my bed was next to the light switch. I would ask if she was ready for me to turn it off and sometimes I would do it no matter her answer (big sisters have to torture little sisters once in a while). Any way, when she'd protest, I would tell her to pretend she was blind. Poor kid.

She did have a nightlight that, oddly, my parent plugged in between her bed and the wall. Well, one night, Rick a big stuffed raccoon from Shirt Tales, got wedged between her bed and the nightlight. It singed his tail quite nicely and luckily didn't start on fire. No more night light.

To this day, I can get around fairly well in the dark by memory. I probably bump into things more in the daytime!

Movie of the Day: At First Sight. Val Kilmer is blind and Mira Sorvino falls for him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too would pretend I was bline--for much longer than 8 years old. I would have my friends lead me around the neighborhood--weird--fun in some odd way.

One in a million Saras said...

And I wonder why I have trust issues...