Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence

I'm not sure how independent I feel today. If I start getting deep and philosophical about it, I'm no where near independent and neither are you. Chances are you didn't create your computer and supply yourself with internet access all by yourself. You probably didn't milk the cow to have something to put on your homegrown oats. Nope, you had Cheerios or Corn Pops or something that dozens of people worked on to get to your table. Yep. Not independent.

Also, not really free. I mean, there are things that I have the freedom to do that many, many others do not and I'm grateful for that. There are other things that I used to be free to do that I can't do anymore. Security. Oy.

Well, on that happy note, I hope you all enjoy some fireworks tonight. I wonder how much they will cost us this year and how many people could have had a decent meal instead.

Movie of the Day: ABC Africa. It's about children in Uganda who were orphaned because of AIDS, civil war, or malaria. One grandmother is taking care of 25 kids in her one room house!!! This is an important and touching movie that everyone should see.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Aren't we cheerful today?

Rand said...

I will comment on your post since you were gracious enough to comment on mine - I always appreciate a person voicing a depth of concern on a holiday, instead of just parrotting the "party line."

We are not at all "independent," and in fact we are all quite interdependent. Thanks for giving us a reason to stop and think today, Becca.

Becca said...

I'm not really Un-cheerful today. I'm just tired of all of the red-white-and-blue clothes and stuff. I'll be better tomorrow.