Friday, July 14, 2006

Relay for Life

Tonight is the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. This is the second year that I'll be walking, though I'm doing it a bit differently this time.

Last year, I showed up at 6 and stuck around until about 2 AM. It was a sweltering night (not unlike the prediction for tonight). It was a good experience, but kind of gross too. Okay, it was really gross.

Any way, this year, our captain needed someone to sign up for the 4 AM shift. I decided that I would take it, on the condition that I wouldn't show up at St. Scholastica until 4 AM. That way, I can sleep until about 3:15 and then head up there. I'm up early during the school year, so this shouldn't be too horrible.

We'll see how it all goes.

Movie of the Day: One True Thing. Meryl Streep. Renee Zellweger. Girl moves home to take care of Mom who is dying.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

You native Duluthians are just not cut out for anything above 70. All the southern-born folks are dancing today. Woohoo! Summer finally got here!

Walk well, dear, walk well.

Rand said...

Good luck! I would just stumble around and bump into other people at 4am.

Becca said...

I'm a wimp in heat. I'm the first one to admit it. Give me 70 degrees any day.

The interesting thing about this walk is that many of the people walking are either still fighting cancer or have fought it. Or, they know that they can't pull an all-nighter. The track will be mostly mine with the majority of my team at home in bed or in the team tent catching a nap. So, if I stumble, I'll just hit pavement instead of some poor lady or gent.

Unknown said...

Hey, girl. I respect that you're doing the Relay again. I'm in Phoenix for school and it's 112 right now, but they say it "feels like 109" ~~ like a reverse wind chill thing they got going here. We're all advised to stay indoors, drink lots of water (yeah $4.50 a bottle at the hotel!). It's okay...supposed to cool down to 106 by Tuesday. Maybe Michelle's right; I know I'm definitely not cut out for hot weather. Good luck and thank you for doing the relay!!!

Alex said...

My friend Kim is doing the relay in Shakopee. Good luck, stay hydrated.

Linda said...

THANK YOU Becca for being on our team. You were awesome at 4 am walking continuously until 6 am, so fresh and bright, compared to those of us that were there for the night. I keep telling everyone that if we do shifts, we don't ALL have to stay up all night, that's why its called a
"TEAM" event! Now, you set the example for next year's event, making my recruting members easier ... thank you. It was great walking the last lap around the track with you...really enjoyed it...thanks for "pushing" me to do that last lap!

Linda said...

Michelle is right...I am a "wimp" when it comes to heat and humidity. I didn't used to be...growing up in Southeastern PA for 22 years, I nearly froze the first years of summer here...I complained highly about the summer being too cold. NOW,
after 36 years in Duluth, I complain highly when we have hot, humid days like PA! This last week felt like PA... makes me know I couldn't handle a whole summer like this past week anymore! Looking forward to the
cool tomorrow!