Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Sorting Hat

In Harry Potter, the new arrivals sit on a stool in front of the very first banquet. They put on a rumply old hat and it decides which of the four houses the student will belong to based on each kid's strengths.

Today, I am the sorting hat of my house. I'm getting rid of things. The "houses"? Keep. Recycle. Good Will. Sell. It's liberating to get rid of stuff. I have magazines that I thought I'd keep forever and look back at later. Magazines are heavy, though, and take up a lot of room. I also have clothes that haven't been worn for a couple school years, so why bother keeping them?

The glitch is my book collection. I have books that I love and don't want to part with. Books that I want to share with friends. Books to slowly read through. Books that I have, but shouldn't have bought. Books that got me through college. Books that I keep in my classroom to entertain the kids when they finish early. Books, books, books. I own 7 bookshelves. You would think that would be enough, but I'm going to run out of space soon. Oy.

Movie of the Day: Cars. Cute. Good story behind it, too. I do not have piles of cars around my house, thankfully!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Books. I know what you mean. I give them to the library and then I don't feel so bad. I do keep a few. I eventually (like you) throw away my magazines that I am "attached" to. Liberating isn't it?

Becca said...

It does feel good. I had a whole, big Rubbermaid tub of Real Simples, magazine from when JFK Jr. and Princess Di died, and then a bunch of Peoples. Now, I'm just going to rip out photos I like and make some sort of file or scrapbook. Dorky, but better than keeping everything!

Rand said...

I love books! I can't get rid of them, either.

Alex said...

I love the scrap book idea, not dorky at all.

DO NOT throw books away. I have and live to regret it. There is always room for books, throw away chairs, lamps, kitchen appliances. Not books. Just my humble opinion.

Alex said...

Becca, I know you've told me twice, but please tell me again who your sister is?

Becca said...

My sister is the "Sara's Blog" link that I have. Her name on comments is "One in a million Saras."