Friday, January 13, 2006

Teachers I've Known Before

The weekend of my 10-year high school reunion, a group of us went to breakfast with our newspaper advisor. My friend Nate stays in contact with him and set the whole thing up.

Mr. Braafladt looks like Mark Twain. Honestly. I first met him in 10th grade honors English and I was scared. I learned a lot from him: how to take multiple choice tests efficiently, how to see the poetry of songs, and how to spell his name (no nicknames for Mr. Braafladt!), but was still a bit scared all year.

When I was a senior, I was a member of the newspaper staff: reporter and photographer. That was when I relaxed a bit in that room. I loved being on the newspaper. We also had our own darkroom. There were only two of us taking most of the pictures and he would send us to the lab. As a teacher, I never would have sent a senior girl and a junior boy to a dark closet, but that's just me. In case you were wondering, nothing happened.

Whenever the photo editor (the junior boy) really wanted a picture in the paper that grading period, he would have me ask Nate (Hi Nate!) because he thought I had more pull. Nate was The Editor and is still a subscriber to the paper! It always worked so maybe the guy was right.

Any way, when we went to brunch with Mr. Braafladt, he talked about friendship and said "Take care of your friends." His statement resonated with me and I ended up typing it and framing it for my office. Now I see it and think of Mr. Braafladt, my time on the paper, and my friends.

Today's Movie: Top Secret. Stupid movie, but the first one my little brother ever went to. Luckily, he's developed better taste than when he was 2 years old and we dragged him along. (My mom was out of town and my dad took us to see it. I don't think we "got" much of it.)

Ludicrous Lutefisk,
:)Becca

No comments: