Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Positive Work Environment

Does anyone work with cheerful people? I don't mean "annoyingly cheerful", just people who don't gripe about everything? I know it's a coping mechanism, but it's starting to get on my nerves. I try to stay positive against some pretty tough situations, but when I'm faced with a gaggle of coworkers who are upset, it's tough. I don't know how to guard against it except to put up walls, which of course is not how I want to spend 8 hours of my day. Oy.

Any suggestions?

Today's movie: Working Girl. Melanie Griffith posing as her boss. Harrison Ford being cute.

Bonus movie: Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead. Christina Applegate forges a resume to get a job in fashion for a summer. Excellent example of pushing yourself to do what others think you can't do.

Ludicrous Lutefisk,
:)Becca

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently caught Don't Tell Mom on HBO and all I can say is, David Duchovny, why don't you love me?
I was telling somone last night how only 1 percent of the population is cheerful in January. The rest of us need to relax and enjoy the downtime.

Anonymous said...

Guarding against advice--
1. Listen w. compassion and know you don't have to do a thing--they have a right to be in their own soup. (If only it were that easy!)
2. Say, "This depresses me, I have to go (and cheer myself up?)."

Unknown said...

We could send them all happy Valentines...or just stay out of the breakroom ;-)

Linda said...

SMILE and BREATHE

be compassionate for their unhappiness.

Remind yourself to stay upbeat and that you aren't going to let them "bring you down".

Yes, January seems to be a hard
month for all. I am a cheerful,
upbeat person, and I must say the beginning of Jan. I had my struggles staying upbeat and cheerful. I smiled a lot and breathed a lot!