Thursday, February 02, 2006

Math and Religion

I am drawn to people who can have real, deep conversations about "the important stuff." By this, I mean the meaning of life, God, philosophy, psychology, etc. If you want to talk recipes, hiking trails, or sports, I'm not your gal. Sorry.

In college, I would have people ask me how I could be a religious person and a math major. My favorite class in college was Judaism. It was fascinating. Our prof was a rabbi from Wisconsin and I would catch myself saying "My rabbi said...." instead of "My prof..." That seemed to disturb some of my more conservative friends. At one "pod" dinner (10 of us), I announced that I thought that I was Jewish. Multiple people didn't talk to me for a couple days because of it. My reasoning? I don't believe in hell (neither do Jews). I read ahead in that class (not easy at St. Olaf where homework is abundant). When he would tell us about different aspects of Judaism, a small voice in my head would whisper "Yes."

In one of my journal entries for this class, I said that the more I learn about math and science, the more I believe in God. Such intricate details of the world could NOT be random. My rabbi seemed impressed. He also liked the one that I wrote about the number branding of concentration camp prisoners and how horrible it was not only because that's simply horrid, but because Jews do not believe in numbering people. For instance, in order to start a service at a synagogue, you need to have a minion, which means 10 people. Instead of counting off, they use a list that is 10 items long. If they get to the 10th item, they can start.

Movie of the Day: pi (pi symbol really). It's a bit weird. Okay, a lot weird. So, brace yourself. It's interesting, though.

Ludicrous Lutefisk,
:)Becca

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog...I dig the deepness of it. I have always wondered if every type of religion has a part of it right and none really have it totally right. When human reason and our human limitations get in the way of what is true, it can distort anything including religion (or sometimes definately religion). That is why I believe faith is so important.

Anonymous said...

Not believing in hell does not make you Jewish! Maybe we are spiritual Jews. I have for a long time felt that a loving God would not banish anyone to hell for eternity --or even for a little while! I do think that while in this life folks do experience "hells" being in situations that cause deep emotional pain. Bad things do happen to good people but God is always there. That's a whole other topic.

Linda said...

Becca, I have a very close friend who is Jewish. We have had some real good conversations about Judiasm and Christianity. I did not know until about 2 months ago, that Jewish faith, not so much don't believe in heaven, but more like they don't think about heaven. She told me that what is more important, is what they do here on earth, than worrying about what will be after death!
That doesn't sound so bad, after all, as followers of Jesus, isn't that what he has taught us, the importance of treating our human kind well. Maybe we aren't so far apart after all!

Linda said...

Oh..a correction...I meant to say Jewish followers do not believe in heaven or hell...not just heaven...