Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A New Challenge

Yesterday was an interesting day in one of my classes. While I was trying to review some of the key concepts of the past week or so, my students started talking off topic (not uncommon).

For the past week, I've been reading a book about the framework of poverty and it's starting to shape how I view this class. There are so many things that I hear them talking about that I don't know how to deal with.

Some examples: Gambling, destroying property, stealing, fighting, doing drugs, breaking curfew (by 4 or so hours) and skipping school. My new challenge is to find the best way to talk to these kids (all boys, actually) about their behaviors and where that leads.

According to the book, my middle class mentality will not work in these talks. So, it's time for some research. Yikes.

Movie of the Day: My Life. Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman star in a movie about a man who is dying and making videos for his unborn child to watch as he/she grows up.

Ludicrous Lutefisk,
:)Becca

No comments: