Thursday, February 16, 2006

Poetry

I grew up two blocks from a library (less than that if we cut through back yards). It was a tiny building with three rooms off of the main area and two rooms in the basement (which they closed off in later years before closing the whole branch).

I can still picture the "New Arrivals" section and hear the creaking floor.

My favorite book was "America's Most Loved Poems" and it was so old and worn out. I must have checked it out at least 10 times. I think of this book when I wander Barnes & Noble and wish I could find a copy. Unfortunately, when they built the new library, it didn't make the cut and I didn't find it in the yearly sale of old books. So, my new mission is to find out when the heck that book was published and hunt one down. My guess is somewhere between the 1920's and 1950's. Oh my.

Today's Movie: Dream for an Insomniac. A woman just cannot sleep. She hasn't had a good night's rest since she was a kid. Her friends try to set her up with various men and she refuses to lower her standards. It also has an extreme Frank Sinatra theme.

:)Becca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had good luck with Amazon.com for used books--even old out-ot-print sandplay therapy books.

Catharine

One in a million Saras said...

I still dream of living in that library, where I would put my furniture, what I would put on all the shelves (since none would come down). Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you'll ever read this or if it will even help... I was looking for an old book of poetry I could no longer find, and in searching for the only title I could remember I found this entry of yours. I found the poetry book I was looking for though- it's title was different than I'd thought. "Best Loved Poems of the American People," perhaps it's the one you've been searching for as well? It's a long shot but I thought I'd try to let you know.