Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Baby Steps

I'm in a group that meets each Tuesday to talk about how our faith/life is going. At the end, we each ask for a prayer. Then, we pray for each other every day. My prayer for last week was for "playfulness" which I desperately want right now.

My prayer this week was too complicated to verbalize in the time we had, so I said "help and understanding for people who cause pain."

I don't know what the other ladies thought of when I said this, but here's the long story...

I was thinking of some of the difficult prayer requests that we've had so far and what would be the toughest one I could think of. I finally decided to have them pray for the President. Now, I'm a Democrat. Forever. End of story. So, this was a big step.

Then, it morphed into praying for all of the people who have seen so much hurt in their lives that they see no alternatives to violence, fear, and oppression. People who grew up in poverty of spirit or finances. People who didn't have time to be kids.

In Becca's Ideal World (I'm sure there would be kinks to work out), everyone would receive enough food every day (and not too much), everyone would have a noble task or job to perform, and everyone would have someone to talk to (parent/counselor/teacher/religious leader) who was wise and kind. Everyone would have medical care, a roof over their heads, and enough clothing for their climates. Everyone would have time to think/relax/dream. Everyone would have access to an unbiased education. Everyone.

Kind of a long prayer request, huh?

1 comment:

Lois said...

WOW! That would be an ideal world! Isn't that part of "Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven."? I think that is what we are praying for each time we say "The Lord's Prayer".

As for praying for the President--he needs to be prayed for! We need to pray that his heart will soften as it deals with social and justice issues, etc.