Thursday, April 20, 2006

Reality TV Bugs Me

I get enough reality every day. I don't need it on TV. I need to see shows with smart dialogue, interesting characters, and normal life stuff. Shows where the parents are smarter than the kids and teachers are there to help. Right now, that wouldn't sell, I guess.

I think of the shows of my youth and what the kiddies have now. I watched "Family Ties," "Growing Pains," and "Facts of Life." Now the kids have "Malcolm in the Middle" with stupid parents and mouthy kids and "Yes, Dear" with the same scenario. I'm sure there are even more that I just can't think of right now. Why are we teaching our kids to be rude?

When I was a sophomore in high school, I was sick for a day and called my Algebra 2 teacher to get the assignment. I said, "Could you tell me the assignment and junk?" (Common vernacular for the early 90's). He said "Junk?" like I had offended him. I felt so bad. Yikes. Now, if I had a kid call for their assignment, I think I'd pass out from shock.

Movie of the Day: Patch Adams. Robin Williams is awesome and inspiring. The REAL Patch Adams spoke at my school a couple years ago. He said the movie was tamer than he really is and commented on how awful it is that we PAY to advertise for clothing like Nike, Old Navy, Gap, etc. He was fascinating!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree- pon both counts. Reality TV drives me nuts. I don't know how much of it I can take. I watch less and less tv now.

I also agree about how kids are acting these days.... of course I deal with college kids all day- but I swear we were not like them. There are some that are sweet and good kids.. but some that are well.....

Lois said...

The ads for those shows are SO stupid, I wouldn't think of watching the shows!

They had an interview with some expert on the Today Show today. They talked about how kids think they are so entitled to "stuff" and how rude they are, etc. I was only half listening so I don't know if they came to any conclusions except that a lot of it started in the 70s. Parents do have to make it clear to the kids that they are the parents and in charge!