Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Substitute Teachers

I started my teaching career as a sub. For three months, I hopped from school to school, never knowing what I was getting into. By November, I had a semi-permanent job for a teacher out after surgery. Then, I switched at semester time and took over for a teacher who retired. From there, I had my own job.

Last Friday, I had a sub while I was at the Math Conference. The day after a sub can go a lot of different ways. If you have a good sub, everyone did what they were supposed to do without getting sent out of the room. If your sub didn't have a good day or didn't do what you expected, the day after is annoying. Yesterday was really annoying.

The kids all wanted to complain that the sub talked the whole hour while they wanted to work (Imagine this. They wanted to work.). He read poems and stuff, which would be fine if it weren't the end of the grading period and the kids were done with everything.

I had one class that spoke up and said they had to work. I'm guessing they were less than tactful about it, based on their personalities. He did, however, sit and let them work. I guess he was sad and crabby after that.

Yikes.

Oh well.

We try to move on....

Movie of the Day: Possession. A movie about two researchers (Gwyn. Paltrow & Aaron Eckhart) who make a discovery about two poets never thought to know each other.

No comments: