Thursday, March 30, 2006

MacGyver, help!!!

I need MacGyver to make a little visit to my classroom. Soon! I have one of those gizmos that will focus a camera on my desktop and then show a picture on two tv screens. It's very helpful for notes, demonstrations, etc. It also has a tiny little monitor so I can see what I'm doing.

Somewhere between my first and second classes yesterday, the monitor went black. Nothing. Now, I have to either lean way over to see what the tv is doing above my head (have I run off the page? Is it too small?). OOOOORRRRRR...... I can rig up some mirror system to tell me what it looks like.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have about 100 aol discs in my room. I did take one and tape it to the top of the camera and that worked so-so. Everything was backwards and I needed to half stand up to see it. I tried moving it down, but it got in the way of the paper. Ideally, I would have two big mirrors, but I haven't figured out how that would work.

Maybe I need a periscope.....

Movie of the Day: Strictly Ballroom. It doesn't have anything to do with MacGyver, but it's a great movie about risking being yourself. The first couple minutes are a little frantic, but it calms down after that, so have no fear.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

And are you bringing said movie Sunday night?

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud (LOL) when I imagined you with a periscope in your room.

Michelle said...

I always thought LOL meant Little Old Ladies. Or is that just church jargon?

Anonymous said...

Ahh.... don't you just love technology? Maybe one of your students knows how to fix it. When my computer in class doesn't work for lecture I just ask one of the students and they usually ccan figure it out for me :)

Becca said...

My kids tried to figure it out, but it's so expensive, I don't want them to make it worse. Also, a coworker said it happened to another machine and it was cheaper to by a whole new one than fix that part. I did figure out that if I look sideways across the room (and draw a big square to represent the screen) it's okay. Teachers adapt to crappy situations.

But... if anyone has a spare periscope....