Thursday, March 23, 2006

My Classroom

It's officially Spring and yesterday I started taking things down in my classroom. I like to start slowly. (Anyone remember me doing this in college too?). Any way, in the Fall and Winter, I tend to put up random things that I find funny: a pencil sharpened to within an inch of it's life, an empty box of chocolate fish from Japan, Homies (collectible gangster figurines), a teddy bear, a fake plant, calendars, a tiny ceramic piggy bank that has "bribes" printed into it, a Snoopy piggy bank, foam flowers (from a craft store), etc.

My two favorite things are my wall of aol discs that come in the mail and a freaky holographic picture. The aol discs started when I felt weird throwing them out from the mail. So, I kept a stack of them. This Fall, I put pushpins in a bulletin board and hung them up. They're quite pretty, actually. Kids started donating their discs and I now have an entire board full. It's pretty when my fan hits them and they wave in the breeze.

The picture was something I picked up at a church rummage sale in the Cities. It's a house in the country, but apparently it looks like the Bates house. Ha! It has a plastic coating that's ribbed so it sounds funny when you run your nails across it. Best $1 I've spent in a long while.

My room didn't seem cluttered to me, but now that things are starting to get packed away, the room is opening up. Now I just need to figure out how to wash the floors more than twice a year (yep, twice) and I'll be good to go.

Does anyone else have quirky work spaces?

Movie of the Day: Office Space. Work angst. Funny.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Office Space is the movie where one of the workers almost goes postal because someone has taken his stapler.

I have become that person! My stapler mysteriously disappears on a regular business and I scour the building to find. One time I couldn't and it had a very negative impact on my day. All staplers are not alike! I want MY stapler. Call me weird but I don't ask for much.

Becca said...

I know what you mean!!! If they tell us our rooms will be used over the weekend (speech, ACT testing or whatever), I ALWAYS hide my stapler.

Is YOUR stapler back?

One in a million Saras said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
One in a million Saras said...

I love, and have lived, Office Space. I've even experienced a boss who loved, and is, the boss from OS. Oh irony.

The wall above my desk is covered with pictures, my favorite trinkets, and quotes. Here's a fav: "One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar." -Helen Keller

Anonymous said...

I didn't see a picture Becca. I want to see one of the discs hanging in your room. Your classroom kids must love you!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever watched the show the Office on NBC. It's funny- and they do some wierd office stuff. I think it can always make your own job seem better- you're happy the guy on the show isn't your boss!