Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Screw

When I was in college at St. Olaf, my JC's (Junior Counselors similar to RA's) decided our corridor should go on a "screw." It sounds dirty, I know. The name is short for Screw Your Roommate. The idea is to find your roommate the weirdest date and then everyone goes out as one big group. By the time I got there, though, it had morphed into "Who do you want me to ask out for you?"

I went on three screws during my college career:

Screw # 1 (Freshman Year): Bowling and pizza. Went with my physics TA who was super nice. Found out he was back with his girlfriend (now wife) the day of the screw. Bummer.

Screw # 2 (Freshman Year): Picnic and the Minnesota Zoo. Fun. Hung out with my date and my friend's gay date. Oops. Fun, though.

Screw # 3 (Senior Year): Made spaghetti in our dorm and had guys over. Played boardgames. Many guys left around 9 PM and most everyone else went into their rooms to play drinking games. Good food. Not so fun entertainment (since I don't drink).

Imagine going on a screw now! Of the 9 other girls I lived with my senior year, only two of us are single. Four have kids (some three!).

Movie of the Day: Blind Date. Bruce Willis. I saw it a LONG time ago, but remember liking it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW- I don't even really remember the spaghetti dinner we had. Was I there? I htink parts of college are still a blur to me.... whay can I recall Nursing class though? ugh! What fun to think about doing now though.....

David Oppegaard said...

I remember screws, per se, but I think I've blocked out all the actual details.

Becca said...

Joy, you were there. I'll try to remember who your date was...

Dave, maybe it's best not to remember sometimes...