Thursday, March 09, 2006

No More Teenagers!!!

Yesterday, I had one more hour of school and I had reached my max on speaking to teenagers for the day. I mentioned this to a colleague and two kids heard and said "You're supposed to wait until we're gone." I said that it wasn't them specifically, just all teenagers in general for today.

I think I'm starting today with a low threshold. Oh well. I thought about making a sign to hold up every time they ask me if I know their grade (gradebook closed yesterday and I have a couple inches of papers left to grade). Some of the sign options that I won't use but will giggle about later:

"Keep off the teacher"
"Beware of Teacher"
"Don't bother asking"
"Ask at your own risk"
"No, they aren't done."
"Just leave me alone."

Now, the polite thing is to explain, blah, blah, blah, but they don't really want to hear WHY the grades aren't ready. They just want to know when and will they make honor roll or merit roll or $50 from their folks.

I can understand where they're coming from. When I took calc in 12th grade, I was teetering between an A and a B for my final grade and it hinged on my final exam. I bugged that teacher, I'm sure. Maybe it's Karma for me now.

Can you pay off Karma?

Movie of the Day: Election. Reese Witherspoon as an annoying high school girl. Matthew Broderick as the teacher trying to survive a student council election.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do something that generates good Karma. I think your sign is a great idea and would lighten not only your day, but the students' as well. DO IT!!

Michelle said...

Becca, you are amazing at matching the movie to the day's theme.